Friday 24 August 2012

Floundering around in the dark ...

We enjoy things for different reasons, me and you ...

For instance, when I go walking I love beautiful scenery but I also just enjoy the very act of walking; of being part of the countryside ... the world. 

Perhaps I could explain.

Eight weeks after being diagnosed I dare say my head wasn't quite where it should have been.

One afternoon in December of 2010 I drove a few miles and parked at Winster. It was one of those dull winter days that I love as I set off up the path leading away from the village ...


Wyns Tor is only a hundred yards or so above the highest houses in the village.

 Winster and Bonsall Moor ...

I crossed the Limestone Way and reached Bonsall Lane ...

Winster and Bonsall Moor ...   

Two or three fields later and I was on Bonsallmoor Lane and the mist was closing in.

Winster and Bonsall Moor ...

After taking a path to the left it was obvious that no one had been on Blakemere Lane that particular day ...

 Winster and Bonsall Moor ...  

It was around here that I made my first video of the walk ...



I passed one of Bonsall's stone barns on Blakelow Lane ...

Winster and Bonsall Moor ...

... before making my second video. The wind that was blowing affects the sound quality but the visuals are still, erm, interesting ...



By now I'd picked up the Limestone Way and was heading back towards Winster ...

Winster and Bonsall Moor ...

There was a fine drizzle [or something] in the air but I could still photograph a squeezer stile with the assistance of the camera's flash ...

Winster and Bonsall Moor ...

It was time for my third video ~ you might want to watch this in the dark ...



By now you're probably beginning to think I was crazy ... but I was loving it. There were no views, just me surrounded by the dark ...



There were one or two times when I thought I must be careful where I put my feet and I did wonder about getting my torch out but, I don't know, I was loving the dark.

Finally, a fifth video ...



Then I was back at the car. I had my coffee and I laughed 

 The walk featured above was followed on the 28th December 2010

Length of walk ~ 4 miles

Total mileage walked so far in 2010 ~ 384 miles

Total mileage between the 1st September 2009 and the 28th December 2010 ~ 517.75 miles

80 of 2010

10 comments:

  1. Winster In Winter. It has a certain ring to it. Despite my dislike of winter weather (well, snow), I rather liked this walk, and enjoyed the accompanying videos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Mitch ~ I didn't think you would. I enjoyed making the videos. Next time I will have to make sure I get nearer the camera so my voice is picked up better.

      Delete
  2. I love being outdoors in nature.........in warm weather. I'm NOT a lover of winter. On a day like that, I vote for hibernation. LoL. You are a lot hardier than I am, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking in any weather Karen, even rain. I don't enjoy having to go out INTO the rain though.

      Delete
  3. I would have walked to the nearest Pub to warm up and taken a taxi back to my car!!! Wgatna lovely walk. it looked cold out there..too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where the nearest pub would have been and somehow I always feel that [ideally] you should earn a pint of beer.

      Delete
  4. Also have to add....I liked that you added videos to this. Now I have a voice to go with the face. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how hard I try Karen my voice always seems a bit 'tight' when I'm recording even when there's no one there but me.

      Delete
  5. Oh Charlie! :-) I read this blog last night, on my cell, but couldn't get the video. Just watched the videos now ... and what a delight! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the videos Pet ~ they certainly give an idea of the sort of walk it was.

      Delete