Wednesday 7 November 2012

Cromford Canal ~ temporary towpath closure

I was walking along the towpath beside Cromford Canal this morning before discovering that part of it is closed for the whole of November.

It was enough to put me off and I took a few photos instead.

The closed section runs from Aqueduct Cottage as Derbyshire County Council call it [I've always known it as Wayfarers Cottage] to Gregory Tunnel. It's being closed whilst a works depot is being demolished.

Whilst I was stood there taking the photo four cyclists came up having ridden along the closed path. They removed the fence, came through and then put the fencing back in place ...

Cromford Canal towpath

Before anyone points out that there are only two cyclists in the photo perhaps I should add that the other two are a little way away along the towpath, behind them.

This is the first time I have uploaded a photo from my phone to Flickr and then to Blogger. I'm quite impressed though I will stick to the camera generally. Still, the photo also went to Facebook and Twitter almost immediately ... or it would have done if the signal had been better !

8 comments:

  1. When I first looked, I thought they were holding up placards in some sort of protest, then I realised the notices were actually attached to the fence. Maybe I need new glasses :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you think they were holding posters ... it was taken with my phone so may not be as sharp as usual.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if it was signed closed path at the other end,would be stupid to go if it did.Makes you realise you have to be careful otherwise we may end up the web.Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought it would be closed at both ends unless the fence has been removed at the other end which is always a possibility.

      Delete
  3. Apparently the fence isn't enough of a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have walked along a closed footpath before and usually there is no major problem. I am sure that the County Council err on the side of caution for legal/insurance reasons.

      Delete
  4. Well I am annoyed that you didn't get to do your walk. It isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have done other walks Karyn but perhaps I haven't quite got the determination [or energy] I used to have. Still, I took some photographs and became a photographer on a walk ...

      Delete